Monday, January 22, 2007

Beware of this Terrorist

On trains, buses and planes,
They put an asterisk by my name.
Beware of this derelict terrorist; he doesn’t care a bit
About the lives of the innocent
Son of filthy immigrants;
Can he even speak English?

Allow me to retort:
I’m a distinguished linguist.
My reservoir of verbs and nouns is so profound the oceans drown
In its depths
An army of uneducated teens with shattered shields
Whimpers and stumbles as it meets me on the battlefield,
The terrain of my brain where guilt and shame find no quarter;
A supernatural, transnational plane, unbounded by borders.
Unleashing speech and inflicting diction
Upon Bigotry and Racists, Misery and Hatred
IGNORANCE runs the streets naked, fleeing from my X-ray vision;
No division or indecision tests my conviction in this religion.
Journey through a better way
But sometimes led astray
In my mediations of yesterday
Fueled by feuds that my ancestors suffered
Every word they uttered
Was a prayer to the afterlife
As they paid with their lives for their sacrifice.
And here my people slouch, grovel, and cower
Begging for acceptance, subjected to the power
Of the intricate system
But the infinite wisdom I find in the text
Forces me to remember; I’m nothing less than blessed.

© 2007 Angad Bhai

No comments: